My Little Corner of the Net

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Sonia Messer Repairs

I had a little time this evening to jump back on some Sonia Messer furniture repairs that I had started a while back.  I have acquired a few more Sonia Messer items and wanted to put them all together.  


Here is the step by step - I had to get the scroll saw out.

I had purchased a piece of mahogany a while back.  Luckily I did it then, because the only place in town that had pieces of mahogany was recently destroyed by a tornado - the hazards of living in Oklahoma!







I carefully removed one of the good feet from the table base to use as a template and traced it onto the large piece.  At first I used a regular black pencil, but once I started cutting and got some saw dust on there, I couldn't see the lines, so I switched to white.




 The book case needed some straight pieces to repair the doors.

I used my Dremel tool to smooth out the edges along the curves.

Once all of the pieces were sanded, I stained them using a combination of a wood stain pen and some Prismacolor markers to match the color of the furniture.

 Waiting for the glue to dry!

 I painted some gold onto the feet of the new pieces to match the existing ones.


click the Sonia Messer label below to see some of my other pieces.

If you liked the project, you might enjoy this Sonia Messer repair I did a while back.  ClickHERE

6 comments:

  1. Hello Troy,
    Well done. It looks beautiful. Your repairs are perfectly executed. I do hope the place where you purchased the lumber will be open for business again soon.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job of restoring the furniture pieces Troy and, using the white pencil was a clever idea too. Often it's those minute changes that will make all the difference in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Troy - The repairs on the two Sonia Messer pieces look wonderful. You have a talent for matching up the wood and the finishes. I'm glad that you had that piece of mahogany on hand; so sad about the destruction of the woodcraft store.
    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Troy! Those pieces are so lovely and your repairs are really well done! They look really wonderful! It's great to see them getting repaired rather than trashed! Thanks for showing how you did it too... someday I hope to have some real tools! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Una reparación perfecta! Esas piezas son muy bonitas y vale la pena el esfuerzo!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete